Introduced in May 1956, the Austin A105-Six was powered by BMCs 'C' series in-line six-cylinder engine of 2639cc fitted with twin S.U. carburettors which produced 102bhp at 4600rpm. Borg-Warner overdrive was fitted as standard on third and top gears.
Originally fitted with a 'short-boot' body, the A105-Six was facelifted in October 1956. It now had a longer wheelbase, a lengthened tail/boot and a larger wraparound rear window. A Borg-Warner automatic gearbox became an option at this time. Sir Leonard Lord requested Vanden Plas to produce a luxury version of the A105-Six. The first car was produced in January 1958. Mechanically identical to the standard Austin version the Vanden Plas differed externally by the fitting of a 'Vanden Plas' script bootlid badge, a small coronet badge at the front end of each body side flash and small single line chrome badge at the rear of each flash in place of the more elaborate finishers fitted to the Austin. The wheels of the Vanden Plas were painted in body colour and received special wheel discs with central Austin 'Coat of Arms' badges. The Vanden Plas was finished in monotone colours of Black, Richmond Red, Sage Green and Carlton Grey, except for the central flash which was finished in Regency Grey Metallic. The interior of the car received the full 'Vanden Plas' treatment. Figured walnut covered the facia and the door window surrounds. Leather covered the Vanden Plas designed seat facings, a wool cloth headlining was fitted and thick pile carpets covered the floor. Three interior trim colours were offered, Blue, Grey-Green and Tan. Just 500 Vanden Plas examples were manufactured before A105 production ceased in April 1959 to be replaced by the new Farina styled Austin A99.